Introduce yourself!

Hi Every One,
Good Day,

I’m Technical Engineer in Pre Press department in Global Graphics Art Supply Kuwait., recently joined this field, got 3 weeks training from Punch Graphix Germany for their BasysPrint Tiger Machine, impressed with the technology, I need to get some more knowledge about different Plate types. Specially Conventional, Thermal and Violet Plates etc.

Can any buddy guide me with extra ordinary knowledge knowing Plates. Basic and Research work.???
Waiting for your favorable response,

Regards
Syed

Hi!

I'm Mark-Erik and I work as prepress and IT-support in a printing house in Estonia. Printing calendars most of the time.

Hi. My name is Robbie. I work as a print instructor/demonstrator for Printech, Cape Town. We specialize in re-marketed Heidelberg presses. I am passionate about print and would be grateful to hear from those who share my passion. I would like to establish a contact base with anyone who would like to exchange ideas and challenges.

Introducing... Matt Murphy

Introducing... Matt Murphy

My name is Matt Murphy.

I have been working in the Graphic Arts community for 20 years (I can't believe I am getting that old!) as a Prepress Manager, Graphic Designer, Production Art Manager and now Production Director.

My main job is building the artwork that most of you guys print. I have experience with Large Format printers and Laminators as well as multiple color copiers.

I hope to learn more on the digital printing end from you guys and hopefully I can help with the computer software and packaging art side.

Hi - my name is Tom

Been working for printers and myself in the print/prepress business for about 25 years.
Mostly small companies, where you have to wear many hats during the course of the day.

I'm NOT a designer.

That being said I've been doing "production design" the whole time.

Started with PCs before there was anything called "Windows". My first MAC was an SE.

I have had both platforms on my desk most of the time.

So - yes - I do Windows. Obviously - I prefer MACs, but there is a place in this world for most things and the PC isn't going anywhere.

I don't know everything and am glad. This way I've got something new to learn everyday - and look forward to it.

Right now I the General Manager of a small printer in central Ontario.

Duties include:

everything from sales calls, design, light bindery, fixing PCs, networking, estimating, customer service, equipment purchases, training staff and clients, run, and troubleshoot digital print and prepress dept.

I also am a Prepress consultant for other printing companies and do renovations (in my spare time)

I probably won't be on here much as - all the stuff above - keeps me pretty hopping.

I'll check in from time to time though

I love this business and feel lucky to have been a part of it for so long

Cheers

Tom!

Hello,

My name is Victor Scott. I am a software developer that decided to make a move into the printing industry. I want to use innovative technology and do great things! I started http://SignsMadeOnline last year and am in the process of expanding the website and functionality. I have a lot of great ideas regarding the use of web2print technologies. I think that there is room for improvement in this arena. I joined PrintPlanet to network and potentially collaborate on various business ideas.

Hello everyone!

Hello everyone!

Hi everyone,

Mordy Golding here. I used to hang out back in the days when Print Planet was an email list. But then I must have gotten lost in the transition to the forums and well, I guess I got lost under this pile of stuff to do -- you know how it is.

In any case, it's nice to be back.

For those who don't know me, my name is Mordy Golding and I used to be the product manager for Illustrator at Adobe (2001-2004). These days, I have my own training and consulting company here in NYC called Design Responsibly and I'm the author of several books and online training videos including Real World Illustrator CS4 and a whole bunch of stuff over at Tutorials - Online Training - lynda.com.

I actually saw a post on twitter that linked back to this forum and I was struck by nostalgia. If you are interested, you can follow me on Twitter (username: mordy) and you can also visit my Illustrator blog at Real World Illustrator.

:) Mordy

I have NO experience, ZERO, but I bought a xerox docutech 90 with no software, the hard drive was wiped. So I have a million and one stupid questions about simple things, like Xerox stopped selling docuSP for my printer, can I use a different controller software? And does anyone know of a low cost alternative?

For the past 29 years I have been in the diesel parts business, I retired from the Army 2007 and still do the same thing I did in the service, but now I have to buy the parts. I have several ex wives and 4 kids (that don't call) and 10 grand kids that do call.

hello, My name is james i work for Printing Beetle a trusted name in the world of online custom printing. I am working as a Operation Coordinator for the last 3 years and found printingbeetle.com one of the best places around to work with. My job there is to look after the production opertations.

Life

Life

I have NO experience, ZERO, but I bought a xerox docutech 90 with no software, the hard drive was wiped. So I have a million and one stupid questions about simple things, like Xerox stopped selling docuSP for my printer, can I use a different controller software? And does anyone know of a low cost alternative?

For the past 29 years I have been in the diesel parts business, I retired from the Army 2007 and still do the same thing I did in the service, but now I have to buy the parts. I have several ex wives and 4 kids (that don't call) and 10 grand kids that do call.

I like the cut of your job Kbar, sounds like youv'e lived a little!

Bar

Inky 1

Inky 1

Hello Everybody,
I am the "Inky 1". I do not want my specifics here, only my facts. I started in the ink industry in the late '70's fresh out of collage (accounting degree... go figure..) as a lab technition. QC, color matching, R&D, sales (couple years in the late '80's), lab management and technical service for the last 15 years has followed. I am currently Lab Mgr. & Tech Service for a large American owned company. I am certianally not the last word in anything. My objective is to always learn and share my experiences. I have, however, spent a lot of time in the cross-fire between pre-press and the pressroom. That has resulted in learning a great deal from both departments. All in the process of defending ink ! Yes, ink can be bad sometimes, causing problems all its own, but there is an equal balance of problems in both the pressroom and in pre-press. My goal is problem solving, not finger pointing. Bad ink, poor pressroom maintenance, processor maintenance, digital files, etc.... There are a plethora of reasons. Solutions are required. I will generally go in as "Sherlock" and start examining everything before I make any statements. Problems can originate in any one of a dozen or more variables that come together before the sheet drops in delivery, as well as all the post-printing variables.

Hi, Everyone,

My name is Sharon and I am the Purchasing and Marketing director for an independent copier dealership in Wisconsin. Our primary line is Konica Minolta. I started out almost 30 years ago in community newspapers; back then, I typeset on a Compuserve (paper punch tape, anyone?!!) I also did my fair share of hot-wax paste-up and opaqueing newspaper page negatives on that big ol' full size light table. In many ways, working with copiers now feels like coming back full circle.

I've lurked on this forum for several years, like Mordy used to get the old emails before the forum changeover. Thought it was finally time that I contributed for a change. My goal being here is to learn so that I can better assist our printer clients. I will chime in on discussions only when I think I have something useful from my personal experience to share. I use a number of different software applications, including variable data, in my daily work, and appreciate all the good tips I've picked up here.

Last edited:
New Guy

New Guy

My name is David and I've been in the sheet-fed and heat-set web business for over 30 years, sales and sales management. Over the last 6 years my focus has been producing products for the childrens arts & craft and educatonal market. Padded products and such. Started my own company last year doing product development and project management for the arts & craft and educational market. Besides keeping up with ongoing products I spend a lot of my time researching and conducting R&D on possible new products and processes. Always looking for good customer driven partners with unique capabilities on sheet-fed, web and flexo equipment. Lots of interest in specialized coatings too!

Thanks,

David

Hi everyone.

Im Robert from the Philippines, I work in production in StJude Graphics. It is a 4 year old service bureau.
Most jobs all about prepress, color separation to film & to CtP, layoutting & color correction.
We cater small presses, as in they still use the Solna 125, Kord 64, Kord 62 and other old press.

We have Mako 56 for film ouput. Creo Trendsetter 800II and Platerite 4300S for 8up and 4up plate.
We are only new in CtP, so many questions going to ask you guys.
I hope to make some friends with you guys.

Thats all I can say. For now.

Blessed Day to you all...I am Trish.I started out as a computer operator.My husband and I saw the need for a printing store in our small town two years ago.We are a family run business.Copiesplusmorect.com...check it out.I originally signed onto this forum to try and find another business with the same CPP650 issues, am still waiting.We designed and built a home for ABC's Extreme Home MakeOver in Dec.2007 in Voluntown,CT.We also have a design/build company.Look forward to reading future comments.

Introduce Myself

Introduce Myself

I am the VP Business Development at Vanguard Graphics Int'l, the parent company of Printware LLC, maker of polyester CtP solutions under the PlateStream brand, Xitron, the leading Harlequin RIP integrator, under the Navigator brand. We also have a significant investment in HighWater violet metal CtP manufacturer in the UK.

I have 30+ years in the printing industry in various technical, product management and senior management positions in some of the leading companies in our industry.

I recently returned from a 2 year stint working for our HighWater division to our corporate location in Minneapolis St. Paul, MN area.

I look forward to offering advice/comments that can be help to others.

Hi! I'm a printer and run a QM 46-2 and Heidelberg DI. I've been a press operator for 16 years and love it! I have four kids, 4 grandchildren,and 2 more in production. My wife and I live on a small hobby farm near Cannon Falls,MN. I hope to learn from this site how to be a better printer.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back