KM C6500 Regristration issues

NGA

Just wandering if anyone else out this is having the same issues, for sume time now we've had regristration issue where the image would shift about 1/8", well yesterday we ran a small lot of postcards that was 100 sheets and 10 of them jump 1/4'' we've contacted KM several times and had many service reps in but still have the problem. It seems to be more of a problem on cover weight stocks, but not limited to just cover. anyone else have the same issue??

tray doesn't seem to matter, it moves front to back. sheet size orignally seemed to be 12x18 or 13x19 but the most recent job was 8.5x11

This happens to us all the time. Techs can't seem to fix it 100% of the time, only sometimes. It also skews like hell, but they can't fix that either. I have to skew the paper in my cutter to make it cut straight.

Yesterday I had a job shift 5 of 25 sheets down .25 inches. :rolleyes:

I can't Imagine trays 1-3 doing this maybe a mm or so but Not the amount you are suggesting. However the bulk bins will do this under the following conditions.
  1. Your paper is narrower or wider than what you are telling the machine, even by 1 mm.
  2. Both paper guides are not set to the exact same postion.
  3. Paper guides are not in sync, this happens when you only move one guide when you put paper in, making the unit jump teeth.

these situations will manifest a problem where randomly the image will shift 5mm. If this only seems to happen on side to (page facing up) at the exit the duplex unit centering sensor has dust on it and it needs to be cleaned.

It's because you have a KM.
No offence, but you have to admit they arent the inventor of the digital printer......

Yep and the technology was sold to people who did a much better job with it, remeber the mouse or Alto?

Last edited:
IKON650 Skew Problem

IKON650 Skew Problem

We have same issues over and over. Registration is usually off in long run on card stock.
Nobody can answer this. Is this a machine defect?

Tray? left\right, up\down? This is not a machine fault, it is purely down to setup or the paper is the wrong grain.

I have the same problem on a 6500pro model. The image jump is 1/4 vertical on a landscape sheet.
I have two other 6500's (non pro models) that are the same age (2 yrs.) All three have about 1,000,000 clicks on them. The non-pro models do not have the shifting issue. KM has replaced several boards with mixed results. Problem goes away for a short time the returns. I had my dealer swap the print engine with one of the non pro's to see if it was a print engine or Fiery issue. The pro with the swapped out engine developed the same problem again. The problem is only out of drawers 4 & 5 (the big units) the smaller under engine drawers do not have this problem. My service tech has three other customer's with the same problem.

Just a quick question.... How many folks with registration, skewing problems have checked to make sure your machine is level? Even a few mm out of level will throw it off. That would be my first place to look and correct before you do anything else. Once you have a perfectly level and square starting point then go into the machine adjustments, or else your fighting a loosing battle.

Just a quick question.... How many folks with registration, skewing problems have checked to make sure your machine is level? Even a few mm out of level will throw it off. That would be my first place to look and correct before you do anything else. Once you have a perfectly level and square starting point then go into the machine adjustments, or else your fighting a loosing battle.

Good call! I'm having one of these installed and hopefully won't have as many problems with reg. I'll make sure to level it off from the get go.

Mind you - even their demo machine at the demo center had problems with this!

Have your techs tried cleaning the PFU or ADU centering sensors? They can also be disabled in service mode to troubleshoot. We have had problems with these sensors, esp. out of trays 4 and 5 (PFU).
You may also want to try the "both sides adj" on the control panel; it's a little confusing at first, but it is a big help.

Have your techs tried cleaning the PFU or ADU centering sensors? They can also be disabled in service mode to troubleshoot. We have had problems with these sensors, esp. out of trays 4 and 5 (PFU).
You may also want to try the "both sides adj" on the control panel; it's a little confusing at first, but it is a big help.

Cagey has hit the nail on the head, in the majority of cases the Auto Centering sensor in the paper feed unit will cause the registration to jump by approximately 5-6mm (or 1/4 inch) front to rear if the front guide on each tray isn't right on it's mark for the paper size in the tray.

The 'Both Sides Adj' may cure the problem but in my experience it's been the side guide causing the issue, sometimes inconsistently. You could ask your tech to try switching off the auto centering sensor in the paper feed unit for a while just to try it out.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back