Profile management

simonw999

Hello everyone.

I'm new to the forum so please be gentle with me.

I have a few question to ask regarding profiles in Creative Suite, how to manage them and what they do.

When setting up my colour setting in CS6 Indesign. I have an option to Preserve Numbers (Ignore Linked Profiles). What exactly is this?
My understanding is that no CMYK values in Vector or Rasters are changed.
Is this correct? If so what is the point of converting to Fogra 39?

When I open a file in Indesign or Illustrator and it asks me to assign the Fogra 39 profile, what happens exactly?
Do my images that are placed in the document change their working colour space?

For example, a photoshop file, with a SWOP coated proifile assigned to it, placed it in a document with Fogra 39 colour space, what exatly happens to the image?
Does it become Fogra 39 only when it is output?
If I open the image in Photoshop and change the profile to 39 the image changes tonal value. Will this happen if placed in Illustrator or InDesign?
Where does this change take place?

Also when I output to pdf using only the Fogra 39 profile, what exactly is happening to the file created and the files used to create the pdf, are the colour values being altered?

I am getting a little bit confused with some of the options we are using.

In the past I would tend to leave yhe colour management until proofing or printing.

Thanks

Convert to destination (preserve numbers) is a very confusing option. What happens is:

non-CMYK elements are converted to the colorspace described by the destination profile

native InDesign elements are left alone

CMYK elements tagged with an ICC profile that differs from the destination profile ARE CONVERTED.

untagged CMYK elements are left alone

grayscale and black only elements are not converted

You can download our digital publication on the AppStore, "Out of Chaos" (currently for iPad only). In it is an article that covers all of these options.

Convert to destination (preserve numbers) is a very confusing option. What happens is:

non-CMYK elements are converted to the colorspace described by the destination profile

native InDesign elements are left alone

CMYK elements tagged with an ICC profile that differs from the destination profile ARE CONVERTED.

untagged CMYK elements are left alone

grayscale and black only elements are not converted

You can download our digital publication on the AppStore, "Out of Chaos" (currently for iPad only). In it is an article that covers all of these options.

Hi Rich,

You need to clarify if "non-CMYK elements" and "native InDesign elements" are the same or different categories.

Al

simonw999,

It might help a bit if you take a screen capture of your InDesign colour settings (advanced mode on) and post that image to the forum. Answers can be dependent on various settings which are currently unknown.

It may also help to understand the work you do and the setting that you are in, do you receive files from others, do you only create your files etc. Do you work in-house for a printer or supply files to others, do you print to an industry specification such as Fogra 39 or an in-house condition that is profiled. Do you print or hand off native files, or do you output to PDF.

If you hover the mouse over a selection, the lower description area will provide info on the selected option.

In the Colour Management Policies section, the CMYK option for Preserve Numbers (Ignore Linked Profiles) does the following:

“This option is available in InDesign and Illustrator for CMYK. Preserves color numbers when opening files and importing images, but still allows you to use color management to view colors accurately in Adobe applications. Select this option if you want to use a safe CMYK workflow. In InDesign, you can override this policy on a per-object basis by choosing Object > Image Color Settings.”

(Taken from the Adobe InDesign Help Guide)

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
Hi Rich,

You need to clarify if "non-CMYK elements" and "native InDesign elements" are the same or different categories.

Al

Sorry, Al. The assumption here is that you are working in InDesign in CMYK. Native elements would be in CMYK or spot. "Non-CMYK elements" is referring to placed elements like an illy file built in RGB or a Lab PSD.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back