What CTP machine is number 1?

None . . . when we went to CTP I investigated Agfa, Screen, and Heidelberg . . . all had their good and bad issues . . . in the end the overall winner was heidelberg for us . . . but not necessarily for other shops . . .

Incorrect statement of Q.
Even the number of installed machines does not tell the true: amount of the cheapest CTP installed worldwide could be higher that others, but that fact does not tell us this CTP is number one/ the best.
Comercial and Newspaper printers have different approaches and need different CTPs

Last edited:
After shopping most CTP machines, we went with a Heidelberg Suprasetter and it has been a reliable machine for us.

Another one to consider is the Kodak Magnus

That's a really broad question that I didn't want to touch at first!
I'd have to say in many ways the Screen is a great solution.
Kodak sold them before they bought Creo.
Heidelberg sold them before they made their own Suprasetter.
Fuji picked Screen, and now Agfa picked Screen.
Can so many manufacturers be wrong?

Of course, if your printing newspapers and need 100 plates an hour or something, that's another story.

:confused:
i dont even saw a press run using both screening,, bcoz here in the philippines maybe 1 or 3 printers only using that screening,, can i ask u base on ur experience sir gordo,, which i better???

tnx a lot...

:confused:
i dont even saw a press run using both screening,, bcoz here in the philippines maybe 1 or 3 printers only using that screening,, can i ask u base on ur experience sir gordo,, which i better???

tnx a lot...

I have seen both screenings printed, however, since I was the marketing manager for Staccato and helped develop its tile patterns - my opinion might be considered prejudiced.

best, gordon p

I know the idea behind FM screening and think it's a great idea, and the results are brilliant, especially the smaller the dot.
I also think there's a lot of issues on press that I am not an expert on, but if the plate isn't good, the press rarely makes things better!
I always liked the Screen machines, and the Creo machines themselves are really great, it's the company that's difficult. Having said that, if I absolutely had to do hifi FM printing, I'd probably go with the Creo (Kodak). The extra expenses would just have to be paid, and if there wasn't enough profit, you would not get into that business.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back