Introduce yourself!

Sheetfed Quoting

Sheetfed Quoting

Hey Cory,
My name is Petter. I currently run an graphics/advertising company. I have a friend who owns a print shop (web), they focus on newspaper. We are going into business together and are looking into investing into a sheetfed. Just a few question, would it make more sense to invest into a 40" press or a 28"? I would assume a 40" for ganging reasons but i'm not sure. Also, how do you quote these jobs? Do you base it on per sheet? Not quite sure how, Can you help?

Thanks

Petter

This is your chance to let everyone know a little about yourself, inside and outside of your job.

I will start it off

I work for Ryder Election Services in Bend, Oregon as their prepress manager. We are a commercial sheetfed shop and a ballot printer. Presses include a recently install 4 color 40, 5 color 28" and 2 2 color 14X20's

In Prepress we run a RAMpage workflow, Javelin CTP device, Fuji plates, ORIS color and all the usual apps.

Outside of work I play paintball and spend time with the family (have a son about 2 years old)

Hi every one!

My Name is Angel Feliz, I work installing Kodak's CTPs (Trendsetter 400,News,Magnus 400 series, Magnus 800, Trendsetter Autoloader, also i'm an Apple Certified Technician.

I'm a Service Engineer for Kodak CTPs

bye

Introduction

Introduction

Hi all,
My name is Ronald, and I was glad to know the print planet forum thanks for registering me.
I come from Kenya we are well known for long distance races and the wildlife. I work for De La Rue ltd based in Nairobi Kenya and I also wanted to venture into private pre - press business. I have acquired a lino 330 with Rip 40 that i wanted to use for the business. I've not set it up yet and I needed some help on doing it so you Linotype gurus out there please prepare.Thanks.

For Ronald

For Ronald

Ron! congratulations on getting into prepress!, What are the specifications of that RIP 40? you might want to think about getting a PC or a Mac and getting a more robust RIP for it, you can get into a Harlequin system very inexpensively for that. Also, how do the plates work in Africa? in the US we used to make RRED negatives, but the europeans used Film Positives
will you be using film or polyester materials? Will you do traditional stripping?

Lintronic 330 and rip 40

Lintronic 330 and rip 40

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the response. I am still in the process of installing with no much success. The specs for the rip 40 are 16 mb ram and 80 mb storage capacity. I'll be using film and sometimes resort to stripping if the job is bigger than A3 if it allows.I am experiencing the following;- the rip 40 hangs on LIr which is the activation of the LI2 interface on the rip,- I can't get the imagesetter out of the panel mode. Does it mean that the imagesetter can not see the LI5 connection.let me ask, - How do I get to the Harlequin system inexepensively ?- Recently I downloaded some RIP 50 software from the print planet forum, can I upgrade the Rip 40 to Rip 50 or are they one and the same thing?-On the rip40 can I upgrade to higher storage capacity and memory probably use a CD drive for it ? I work in the prepress dept at DLR where we use a 2-page Katana 5055 from screen Ltd on a harlequin Rip v7.2, and I am so impressed with the perfomance of the rip I think I need it badly. for the time being pls advice me on the above.thanks

Hi, I'm John. I work for Southern Graphic Systems in South Carolina.

I've been a pre-press graphic artist for about 13 years.

Hello professionals!

Just joined, these forums seem great!

We specialized in UV Coating. We have been in the market for over 15 years.

We run all Sakurai Screen coaters, We just installed an new unit in Feb. 09!

BTW Smelly UV equals bad UV!

Thanks

Armando

Graphic Coatings & Finishing, Inc
Santa Fe Springs, Ca

For Ronald, The Rip 40 and 50 are both really old!, You will need at least a level II rip and even then, with all the movment towards .PDF you ma want something more powerful. We had a G3/266 running a harlequin Lvl II in 1997, that was 266 MHZ and 500 Gb HD, It ran OS9 and we had the system stripped down so it could rip anything. There IS a Harlequin RIP for you Linotronic. You could look into getting a more powerful PC or MAC to run it, what OS'es do you use there? OS9, OSX, Windows? It dosen't matter really, but the RIP, will need to be MUCH more robust to handle modern files.

Feeling like a newborn baby here amongst some old wise folk

Feeling like a newborn baby here amongst some old wise folk

Hey Everyone,

I am from the Central Coast in Queensland, Australia. I have about 4 weeks experience in the prepress side of things. I work for a Non-Profit business that prints bibles, books, brochures, etc for various churches and missionaries around the Oceania Area.

Please excuse my ignorance while I learn to stop drowning and start to tread water. We have just got in a Image Setter to do our negs instead of getting a local company to do it for us. And my job is to learn it and initially to turn pdf's into negs, but later create the pdf's from scratch or jobs created elsewhere.

Our Image Setter is a Panther Plus/46 running on an old Mac (hopefully I will be able to either transfer across to a high end PC or upgrade to a new Mac.... not sure which would be best yet). So be prepared for many many questions from me.

Till Next time,
Auztaz

Hi there, I'm Andy living in a village North of Oakham in the English East Midlands. By day I travel 25 miles East to Leicester where Office Depot have their UK headquarters, and a Creative Dept who produce 14, 000 catalogue pages a year - I'm the Systems Administrator to keep the Macs going, the Quark chuggin' , the coffee pouring and the kleenex on hand when things don't work. 16 Artists in here....lots of used Kleenex.
After work, I ride an Irish horse named Tara and a Yamaha R6 trackday bike - when the wife (and horse) let me...
:0)

Hey Graphic Coatings...
If smelly UV is bad UV, how do you make the smell go away? I am the prepress person here, but am over the press room. The smell makes me want to throw up all day sometimes. Is it just bad ink? Lights not strong enough? Please advise... please???
Thanks so much!
All the best to all of the print planet!
_mjnc

help!

help!

I'm new to this site.
But not so new to the printing business.
I was layed off from my last job when it was closed.
I ran four color Ryobi, two color Ryobi, and two color Shiva, Six color Heidelburg
26 years of press experience...now it is time to add a computer to the mix.

I' looking for some one in the CT area that has a Kodak DI press
I have the opportunity to work in a shop that is running this machine
But the training from Presstek is to high for my pocket. $4000.00 for the week.

I'm looking for someone in the area that would let me spend time with the operator to learn
how to maintain, and keep this machine running.

I have read the manual...just need some hands on time, and someone to answer my questions.

I need this for my next move.

Hi Mikie,

how are you?

Sorry to hear that you dont like salesman because i am one of them. But we sales man are indispensible whether you agree or disagree. They may have to interrup you now and then to realize their sale target . But we all should know all types of job has its disadvantages and advantages!!!

sherry

My name is Mikie. I have worked in prepress for 14 years. I generally dont like pressman, definatly dont like "vendors", and could probably do without ever speaking to ANY kind of salesperson. I really hope this move from PPF will not hinder the sense of community that I have come to enjoy with my fellow prepress operators.

I have setup 3 prepess departments in my city, and currently I am with a large company which produces printed material. That is all you need to know about that :p

Mikie

this is my signature. I cannot beleive I have to type this every time I post.
Note to self: "Never argue with idiots; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

Hi Mikie,

how are you?

Sorry to hear that you dont like salesman because i am one of them. But we sales man are indispensible whether you agree or disagree. They may have to interrup you now and then to realize their sale target . But we all should know all types of job has its disadvantages and advantages!!!

sherry

wonderful

wonderful

Hi......I've been in Printing since 1973 worked as a press helper on a 38" Harris Single color...Next
went in US Army.1974 worked in Prepress as Stripper producing Maps in Germany 4 years been in prepress ever since.....began working in Digital in 1990 Scitex....migrated to Macs about 1994...been stuck with one since. been through good times and bad... if I can hold on 5 more years I'm done.
I'm _The Man_ here so life is good (most of the time)

Married.......2 Daughters..........1 dog..............2 cats

I also am a Drummer in a Contempary Christian Rock Band

and am addicted to Starbucks.

Also I forgot to mention in 1973 I was about...........oh......8 maybe

Edited by: RobR on Sep 4, 2007 1:13 PM

Edited by: RobR on Sep 4, 2007 3:33 PM

Married.......2 Daughters..........1 dog..............2 cats

So interesting expression. that is wonderful life should be . So cool~~

Hi all ; My name is Mike and I have been in printing since 1972, as a pressman for 18 years , then sold ink for a short time and was a partner in a Commercial printer. I currently am V.P. of Operations for Color Ink in Sussex WI. We are a commercial printer that has UV ,Conventional, Digital,and soon to have Wide format UV flatbed capabilities with somewhere around 30mm in sales.

Mike

Your New BFF at Canon!

Your New BFF at Canon!

Hello Everyone - I have about 15 years in the industry, from PrintRollers (Dayton Rubber) to Digital Proofers (Pitney Bowes/Oce) and now Digital imagePRESS with Canon. Please reach out to me with any questions/concerns regarding the Digital Marketplace - as there is plenty of bad information going around! If I don't know the answer - I will get it for you! Looking forward to helping everyone grow their business!

Thanks!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back