Introduce yourself!

intro

intro

Hello, I’m Sarah. I’ve worked in prepress for 30 years, 15 yrs. each at two print shops in Boulder, CO. D&K Printing, Inc. then Johnson Printing. Started doing paste up and running the camera, film stripping at D&K, also became the creative director there. Moved on to Johnson Printing, did prefight, then digital imposition/prepress, became prepress manager. They ran Agfa systems then Prinergy. Then I moved on to the food packaging dept. for a large bulk commodities company in Denver. Currently we run a 8color Uteco Onyx, using water based inks. We have an ink mixing kitchen where we create our own inks. We remote transfer files to our TX facility that houses the press. We use Esko Backstage to prep/plate files. Glad to have this forum around for reference!

My Name is Tim Kinnear. I have been a career AB Dick small offset press technician since 1985. While I am not in the industry any longer, still like to keep in touch with those still in the field. Am familiar with most lines of AB Dick , Multi, Ryobi, Itek Duplicators. Happened on to the forum a few days ago.

Hello everybody i am Saso from Macedonia. Almost 15 years in printing industry working at the moment as print production manager in printing house Fustelarko.We do pre-press,offset printing and post-press operations (die cutting,folding gluing,uv varnish,cold and hot foil lamination,...).
I also have web site about offset printing technology where you can find almost anything about printing,inks,cardboard and lot more connected to printing. I think this forum is great about shearing knowledge and connecting printers from all world.

My name is Juan, originally form Costa Rica, but I been living in California for the past 9 years. Almost 6 years in the printing industry, and currently working as a prepress tech.

We have a 2 color offset press 14x20, one Xerox 770, one Xerox 700, a Wide Format HP Latex L25500 60" and a complete set of bindery equipment. I used to work in another printer a couple of months ago and I was running a Canon ImagePress 6000, a Xerox iGen3, a couple of DocuTech 6180, and couple of Canon 7105.

I have a two of kids (6yo boy and 1yo girl). Big Fan of auto racing, specially Formula 1, and I love this forum BTW.

JRT

Hi,

I'm Jesse McKay. If I can assist you with information about Metrix, particularly how it differs from traditional imposition software, like Preps, hit me up. I'll do my level best to keep it informative and leave my sales hat in the car. I've posted twice and two separate coworkers have been good enough to yank my leash. Ha! I'll catch on.

I'm responsible for direct sales of Metrix in North America (planning and imposition software). Prior to 2012, Metrix was primarily sold through partners. Anyway, I welcome questions and would be glad to contribute in any way that brings value to the forum.

Jesse McKay
Metrix, North America
[email protected]
(904) 567-6269

I'm Jon. Born and raised in Columbus, Ohio. Been exposed to the printing industry since 1988 but didn't officially work in it until 1995. Started by producing a local Kiwanis newspaper with my fellow high school students. Stepped away from desktop publishing for a few years while in college and then while working for a local community college, worked in a Mac lab specifically for the college's graphic communication technology. Left there to go work for a small printing company with duties that included paste up and camera work mixed with electronic output and after 3 years, began working for my current employer first prepping customer files ultimately landing in one of the I.T. positions.

Experienced with many applications and technologies including Adobe and QuarkXPress software, Agfa and Rampage workflows, variable data software, workflow research and development, general technical knowledge and troubleshooting skills, Windows and Mac operating systems, FileMaker, and others.

Hello everyone, My Name is Keith, I own a Flexo Company in Mississauga Ontario, Canada, and have press operators with over 30 years of experience. We also manufacture plates as well. We use an AquaFlex LX press with all the bells and whistles and have Arpeco Rewinders as well.

apart from the work life, I love to fish, take the boat out and sail some of the rivers and lakes up north.

-----

Noble Labels Inc.
Mississauga, ON
(905) 672-8555
[email protected]

Last edited:
Hi there,

My name is Bex and I have recently started up my own business in the UK called Coastal Design and Print. All good fun and growing things slowly but steadily and accumulating equipment and customers as I go! Previous to this I worked as a graphic designer for a bolt-on of Printing.com for 6 years. As a bolt-on rather than a full franchise we were actually a family run print shop so this is where I gained my knowledge in digital, litho and large format print and finishing.

Outside of work stuff I like horseriding, triathlon (did a half ironman last year but got lazy since then!) and playing guitar/singing. I am also a fully qualified Personal Trainer but don't do much with that!

Nice to meet you all and thanks for the advice so far...

Hi,

My name is Carl. I'm in charge of Marketing and Sales at Koffeeware.

Since 2005, Koffeeware develops and provides e-commerce solutions dedicated to online photo related businesses such as photofinishers or pure players. Our cloud based Photo Web Shop enables customization of a wide range of products including photobooks and calendars.

I'd be glad to answer any request for information.

Other interests include radio, high-end audio, photography and hiking.

Carl
Koffeeware
[email protected]
www.koffeeware.com

OK, my 2c worth. Everybody calls me Rikkie. I started off in life as an apprentice diesel fitter (Cat earthmoving equipment), got into press engineering (don't ask how) and eventually was approached to head up an in-house print facility for the Development Bank of Southern Africa, which had then just been established (1984). With the help of a (mostly) great team and despite the not-so-great rotten apples we've had, I've built the facility from a Xerox 9400 (remember them?) and a little A4+ press. We survived the digital revolution, the 1994 South African regime change and as of now, we run a full digital shop, from design, pre-press through 5500 Indigo, a fleet of 7 Bizhubs (1050 & 6500) and a comprehensive little bindery / finishing section. We're not done growing yet, but my biggest mission at this stage is working on my succession plan, as early (semi) retirement becomes a more and more attractive option. 3 wonderful kids, and blessed with 4 grandchildren and a 5th on the way.

Hello there,

I am Liviu, right now I am service engineer for a local dealer of prepress equipment in Romania. I start dealing with Mac - PC networking back in '90, from there I jump to DTP, later in prepress, digital press operator and now I deal with Scitex/Creo/Kodak CTPs, workflows, proofers, plates, a.s.o.... My next challange will be the flexo world in this summer. So... I will ask some questions. Please be patient with me.

greetings to all . . . and, yes, i do mean everyone.

been with publishing-industry since mid-80's . . . pirorly, was computer-programmer . . . priorly, was hospitality-industry. am with publishing-industry, current employer, since 1988 . . . everyday is new adventure for me. limited exposure with illustrator / photoshop / indesign / quark.

honestly, seems every time i take a breath . . . new software emerges. seems every time i using new software . . . user-functionality has, exponentially, decreased. that which "was" easy . . . is now, horribly / grotesquely, obdurate . . . and, yes, i do emphasize "obdurate".

from what i have researched on the internet . . . i am not "peculiar" . . . also, i am not alone. those of you designing software better wisen up.

thanks, to all, for listening . . . to what i have to share.

Hello all,

My name is Brian, been in prepress since 1984. Actually like my job, and am glad I got into the print business. Work for a great printer in Northern Kentucky with 3 full webs, 3 40" Heidelberg, and 3 digital presses. Have worked prepress all my life, and prefer working for the printer than a prep house. I like to see the final product go out the door, as compared to prepress house, when you only see the final product when you screwed the pooch. Worked when we made Chromalins and Matchprints, shot 4/c seps on a 70" Brown horizontal camera, spun seps on a Screen 606 scanner with a whole series of screens, just hoping there is no dust between your film and the screen.

Currently in a EskoGraphics AE10 environment with Creo CTP. Love Esko, liked Rampage, but Esko is so much more fun. Get to tear apart customer files so much easier than any other workflow I have been in. Love to work on the "problem children" as I call them. Give me that file that the client has built so badly, and turn it into a diamond, that is gratification.

Out of the office is spent on my Sabre 1100, or my rollerblades, shooting my Nikon D300 wherever I go out. Heading to Vegas in April to EFI Connect, and may actually see the strip when I'm not trying to get lost in the desert!

Good luck out there, hope everyone is staying busy and keeping those presses turning, there are fewer and fewer of us, so we better stick together.

Take care.

b

Hi all I am new here. My name's Beryl and I am the garphic designer of Fatcat Kigndom. Nice to meet you all! :cool:
This forum looks interesting. I would like to find more about printing here!

name is pj . . . i work for major concern in dfw region . . . am involved with the publishing industry since mid 80's. started with film . . . worked my way up or out (lateral progression). never stepped foot in college . . . took part-time evening course, to learn about publishing industry. my mentor's name was ford . . . charles-ford.

plan on retiring in another twenty-years . . . jury is still out on that. however . . . seems my "learning curve" seems to get a bit more confined / constricted . . . every successive year.

my favorite software is illustrator . . . but, does not mean i have mastered it . . . just appreciate the power of vectors 'n gradient meshes.

utilize pitstop-pro on a daily basis, with customer-bred files . . . makes life helluva lot easier . . . and just a bit sweeter. had marginal success writing a few "actions" for pit-stop (earlier renditions). aside from the products i already mentioned . . . there's indesign 'n preps 'n prinergy . . . to name just a few.

now if only that mini-mac would start behaving . . . instead of giving me attitude.

Hi, my name is Pete Fry and I'm the Director of Product Engineering at a small mostly digital printer in New Jersey. A lofty title that pretty much means I'm in charge of estimating, planning, digital front end, graphic design, IT and anything else that needs to be handled other than finance, sales, and hands on production work. I've been here since 1985 when I started packing boxes back in the warehouse and have touched pretty much every aspect other than running an offset press since then. This was going to be my "temporary job until my band made it"... oops... well, at least I'm still playing in a band so I guess I'm not a quitter... ;-)

At any rate I stumbled onto this forum because although we're mostly digital we do run one and two color work on our AB Dick + T-head and a Heidelberg MOZP. Recently we've started actually doing a bit more of that because of the current client mix. We don't have film output in house and I've been using Filmoutput.com as our source for film. They're fast, high quality, and reliable so that's been working out well for us, but now that we're really starting to do quite a bit of it, I'm starting to think I might like to bring film in-house if there is a low cost alternative. A few years back I got a Xante Filmmaker, which we ended up not using very often and it was plagued with issues, everything from connectivity to print quality so we ditched it. I'm wondering if anyone might be able to recommend a solution that would be inexpensive but still good quality. I don't really need it to be able to do 4up 8.5x11 but A3 plus bleed would be good. Most likely our output would be coming from Adobe CS 5/5.5 on the Macintosh platform.

I'll most likely post this on the main Pre-Press board as well, so apologies if you've read it twice!

Cheers, Pete

Hi, George here from Cardprinting.us. We're a division of TelePak Inc. and we specialize mainly in plastic card printing services. I work as an advertising consultant here, and I practically have the same story as Pete Fry, the guy above. Yes I'm still in a band! But I'm also kinda enjoying my thing here at Cardprinting, good company, nice people. Initially I wanted to get into the arts and design scene, but luckily landed this job by accident and right now I'm not planning to go anywhere.

See you guys around!

Last edited:
Hello to all,

Mike Davies, Colour Jay Limited, UK printer SME established 1986, B2 4 col Sakurai 472ED, Presstek Dimension 412, Macs, HH folding machine, SEYPA 92 UMC guillotine.

Hobbies: Motorcycling, CBR400RR, Hunting & Target Shooting, Flying PPL A B, IMC, Night - 1/3 share PA28RT201T based at Chester Airport

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back