Nanographic Printing Technology from Benny Landa

How long will it be before this technology is in a real productive mode?

Will it be just a few installations or is it anticipated to catch on like wild fire?

Will traditional lithography become obsolte like ancient drawings on the inside of a cave?

Just seeking out the practical application of this new Nano in our day and age.

Thanks,
D

Landa plans to make sure the process works properly and does not expect to sell presses until the end of 2013. For other press manufacturers, I would expect that would be much later.

His technology is just as susceptible to commercial failure, due to bugs that can not be worked out or to other competitive new technologies, as any other new technology. Developing new technology is risky business. The winner is not always the best technology. (Betamax vs VHS format)

It seems to me that there is a host of digital printing concepts racing for the top prize. Normally when this kind of thing happens, only a few will be successful enough to grow and this then kills off the rest.

There is still lots of potential for conventional offset to improve and be more competitive against the digital press movement but the offset press manufacturers have not come to the point where they will do what is needed.

There are a lot of groups besides the press manufacturers that have a vested interest to keep conventional offset competitive against digital. Ink suppliers, blanket suppliers, plate suppliers, plate imaging suppliers, skilled offset press operators and printers with a lot of existing offset press technology.

As you might know, I have been trying to make fundamental changes in the offset process. Over the last 15 years, all of these groups have been indifferent or even hostile to what I have tried to do. Even if only half of what I have wanted to do is right, by taking a position against it has been working against their best interest in the long run. Well the end of that run is getting closer. People sometimes get what they deserve.

Last edited by a moderator:
What happens when you get a paper jam? A sheet folds over and puts a lot of pressure on the belt. Can the belt survive or will it need to be replaced. Another item is paper build up on the edges of the sheet will this happen to the belt also. What happens when you change paper sizes small to big will you have lines or imaging problems. What is the life expectancy of the belt. Preprinted sheet with offset powder. Paper dirt in general on the belt. What chemicals do you need to clean the belt.
I have never seen any printing device that does not eventually attract paper dirt.

Some thoughts.

What offset powder are you talking about?

You have lost track of the dry nature of the printed sheets which require no powder to keep separate.

Your other concerns are quite relevant, but not show stoppers.

Al

What happens when you get a paper jam? A sheet folds over and puts a lot of pressure on the belt. Can the belt survive or will it need to be replaced. Another item is paper build up on the edges of the sheet will this happen to the belt also. What happens when you change paper sizes small to big will you have lines or imaging problems. What is the life expectancy of the belt. Preprinted sheet with offset powder. Paper dirt in general on the belt. What chemicals do you need to clean the belt.
I have never seen any printing device that does not eventually attract paper dirt.

Some thoughts.

I agree with you. Landa's technology being a contact printing process might be its "achilles heel". We will have to see.

These are probably some of the issues they have or will have to address.

Of course if one listed all the existing problems with offset, an independent observer might say that the process will never be a commercially viable process, but of course it is.

Thank you AL I stand corrected.

I was basing my statement on the S7 cutaway Commercial - Landa. I was thinking that there would be some latent heat in the transfer blanket when the impression to the substrate is made.

Maybe Landa has solved the deinking problem without knowing it.

What if the adhesion of the nanoink is only temporary and the dots fall off after 30 days?

Problem solved and another example of "just in time" printing. Read it before the 30 day limit.

Dots all over the place. Maybe the dots can be collected and recycled to be used in some other new printing process. Landa has sure inspired and has gotten the innovative juices going. :)

Erik, your first reply sent pins and needles through my back and legs. Thank you very much, sincerely, for your work and God given intelligence.

D

I haven't seen any of the machines actually printing anything. A sheetfed machine was passing blank sheets perhaps for the visitors to have a sense of printing speed. No sample giveaways, not even samples to hold and feel, only a few behind glass which looked bad, severe random banding and white lines across images. Print density was not exactly what I expected to be. All machines have huge built in displays showing job queues, previews and setup parameters, all jobs apparently set for coated glossy paper, coated matte and clear film. I couldn't find any printouts on other substrates like uncoated or newsprint.
As much as I like the concept I dare to say I was disappointed.

This makes you wonder, if this new printing technology is so far away from prime time, why was it worth all the expense of setting up such a massive booth at this venue?

Al

I haven't seen any of the machines actually printing anything. A sheetfed machine was passing blank sheets perhaps for the visitors to have a sense of printing speed. No sample giveaways, not even samples to hold and feel, only a few behind glass which looked bad, severe random banding and white lines across images. Print density was not exactly what I expected to be. All machines have huge built in displays showing job queues, previews and setup parameters, all jobs apparently set for coated glossy paper, coated matte and clear film. I couldn't find any printouts on other substrates like uncoated or newsprint.
As much as I like the concept I dare to say I was disappointed.

Maxon did they have any guards open? Could you see in the machines? AND NO samples! In the 40 years that I purchased printing machines be it digital, offset and bite my tongue large format inkjet they have always had samples. I have never purchased or put any money down on any machine without first seeing samples. I have never signed a contract for a new press without first seeing my everyday job ran on the model of machine I planned to purchase.

And still heavyweight champion of the world, "LITHOGRAPHY", after KO in the 1st round.

Creo showed off its first commercial CtP at drupa 1996. It used a unique technology to demonstrate plate imaging. An engineer was hidden inside the Trendsetter and simply pushed exposed plates up and out of the machine.

So Landa's nanographic technology may still be on its feet - albeit a bit wobbly in the knees.

Best gordo

Did he stay in there all day? Water and bratwurst was provided. A good indication was the smell of saurerkraut and mustard on the plates......

Creo showed off its first commercial CtP at drupa 1996. It used a unique technology to demonstrate plate imaging. An engineer was hidden inside the Trendsetter and simply pushed exposed plates up and out of the machine.

So Landa's nanographic technology may still be on its feet - albeit a bit wobbly in the knees.

Best gordo

Did he stay in there all day? Water and bratwurst was provided. A good indication was the smell of saurerkraut and mustard on the plates......

Water? It's a German trade show...he was fueled with beer! LOL!

Best, gordo

Maxon did they have any guards open? Could you see in the machines?
Yes. The machines don't seem to have side panels, the entire top half is motorized and raises some one meter high exposing the internals. I may be wrong, but I saw plenty of wiring and bundles of plastic tubing going nowhere so I presume this is the reason why machines don't print, they're not fully assembled yet. I'll go for a closer look today but it's dark in there, booth walls and ceiling are mostly black. Visitors are not allowed to take pictures. The booth is completely packed as one would expect. All visitors need to register in order to attend to scheduled presentations.

At approximately 4 minutes into this video, Landa himself explains the reasons for partnering with other vendors:

drupa 2012: red sofa Interview with Benny Landa, CEO Landa - YouTube

Al

Hi Al. I view his plan differently. I think his plan is quite clever but it is also in fact a monopoly approach but one that is in disguise.

Landa is not selling presses but he is selling ink and blanket consumables. In a way he is giving razors away to anyone who wants one so he can sell razor blades. Or like home office inkjet printers are almost given away to sell ink in cartridges. He will make potentially a lot of money selling the consumables.

What we are seeing is a big race to see who will provide the future dominant process. One that will ensure a continual cash flow for the winner. Landa's model is more interesting since it requires a specific ink technology. Other inkjet press manufacturers might have a problem since possibly ink supplier could supply the inkjet inks.

Interesting but maybe not so good for the industry.

Last edited by a moderator:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back