Prinergy EVO and Pantone+

gig0

When our Prinergy EVO system was installed, the tech set up our spot color handling to extract the color recipe from the file. Millions of files have been processed this way since 2004. The problem is, the new Pantone+ conversions to process color are way different than the previous Pantone library (2000).

I found that if I disable extracting the color recipe from the file and reference the Pantone CMYK 2000 library instead, the spot-to-process conversions end up with matching targeted values from both the old and new Pantone libraries.

I'm just a bit apprehensive on changing global color settings in our workflow because I just don't want to overlook something, so is there any reason why not?

Kf0K9ui.jpg

The hierarchy is:

#1 – Look in user library (off) so onto #2

#2 – Look in factory library using an unknown press CMYK breakdown

#3 – If the colour is *not* found in the factory library, then use the “alternate build values” of the spot colour in the file (which could possibly be RGB, CMYK or Lab in a PDF file).

Using a CMYK library or alternate build in the spot may or may not be “close” to the true spot colour, however it is safe.

Using a potentially wider gamut Lab library or RGB/Lab alternate colour build will create a closer match to the spot colour for in-gamut colours (if colour management settings are correct), however for out of gamut colours you may or may not get an acceptable conversion using a non-CMYK source, it will be a crapshoot.

As much as I hate to say it, you are probably better off maintaining the status quo if you wish to have a “hands off” workflow and not have to have human intervention in managing the spot to CMYK conversions.

Stephen Marsh

Thanks Stephen.

We do have the Pantone Plus-Lab library and after some testing, the CMYK conversion doesn't match legacy files in our system (repeat jobs), although Pantone and Pantone+ conversions match. 'Pleasing color' will work for now especially considering we normally don't get complaints on color conversions, unless it's something obvious that every other printer sees from time-to-time like Reflex Blue or 021 conversions.

Considering we have multiple prepress operators and on different shifts, the objective is to have as little user intervention during the refining stage. Right now everyone is on red alert for spot color conversions, and that just slows things down.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back