Xerox J75 and Fiery Engine

EZPower

We just got the new Xerox J75 with Fiery Engine. We originally had Xerox 700 with Free Flow. For the most part, we are able to figure out most of our layouts and printing. (Our MOTG Xerox rep is not returning my phone calls.?????? Never had a problem with Xerox support on our 700). Any way. On our 700 with Free Flow, we were able to take a job, and globally reduce color over all or per ink. For instance reduce magenta on output to make our blues to be blue, not purple. I can't seem to find a similar option on the free flow side. Under color it has output profiles, but I'm not seeing any thing with reducing any one of the colors. Even if we have to create a profile with reduced magenta will suffice. I'm trying to avoid changing color on my document, if I have 100 pages with multiple blue elements. All I want is reduce magenta on output, just like my Free Flow allowed me to do on the 700.

If your interface is like mine...

Open up one of those output profiles and save it under a new name (by client name, or what adjustment you're making.. anything it's an arbitrary name). Select your newly created profile and hit the Edit button to bring up a CMYK curve editor. Find the specific points that you need to adjust and manipulate the curve accordingly, save your profile and set your job to use that output profile in the expert colour settings.

Problem with these curve adjustments is they're global and can have undesired effects on the rest of your print. If it's a solid you're best off having a Pantone there that you can adjust independently in the Spot Colours section.

What we did here is print some calibration sheets off of our main press and carefully create custom profile curves to match those sheets as closely as we could. This profile became our standard go-to output profile. We duplicated that press-match profile and called it Spot Match, and any jobs where we need to adjust the appearance of spot colours we do it there. This way if we have to mess with the colour of a job at least we're starting out with a press-match profile instead of going back to square one.

Both output profiles and spot colour adjustments are separate from your device calibration, so calibrating the machine will not invalidate your profiles.. but make sure you do a fresh calibration right before you get started on your profile.

Last edited:
Thanks Justin. Ok, In Device Center under Resources, I found Profiles, where Output Profiles gives me options to play with color. Not sure how to duplicate the Profile First before manipulating it. I'm used to making Global changes on our Xerox 700. We only make them for the Blue Color. I know how to manipulate PMS colors and we have done that already. This is for some of our clients who predominately use Blue for back grounds in CMYK and some products in dark blue. All we do is take some magenta down, and our blue is less purple now. Most of our clients for the Xerox are not color critical and know the limitations of digital vs press, :) .

Figured it out, Once you edit and hit save, it gives you an option to save under a different name. Thanks Justin. You rock.

Select your machine's default profile, it'll have a checkbox & lock icon next to it and in your case probably be Fiery Xerox J75 Uncoated 90gsm v1F or something similar. With that profile selected hit the Edit... button over on the right side to open the curve editor.

You don't really want to edit your default profile so at this point just hit the Save button and enter a new name, then close out the window.

Select your new output profile from the same list that you selected your Default profile on, and hit edit again to open up the curve editor.

You can toggle on/off visibility of individual colour channels to get the clutter out of the way and prevent mistaken clicks.

This is where you can set up input/output values on the curve editor. Just got to be real careful and hopefully the job doesn't have impossible colour conflicts. If say your blue that was coming out too purple was 100/80/0/0 you could switch to the Magenta channel and place a new point at 80%, dragging the output down to 70%.

Save your output profile - you can use the same name over and over so there's no need to make tons of different versions unless that's what you prefer.

On some machines if your job is sitting in the Hold queue you'll have to select Remove Raster, then process it again (Process & Hold or Print & Hold), in order to have the machine pull in changes that you've made to your output profile. This is the case with our C75 and the J75 is likely the same.

Edit: For tricky colour conflict situations you can sometimes wrangle your curve in such a way to avoid problems.. but you really have to watch for sudden banding issues whenever this is a concern. So if you had your 100/80/0/0 blue that you wanted to adjust down to 100/70/0/0, but there's also a 68% blue elsewhere in the file that you need left alone, you'd have to put points at 69, 68, and 67 in order to flatten your curve back out. Unfortunately if there's a blue gradient on the page that enters your adjusted range at any point you're out of luck and will have a huge banding problem. That's where spot colours have saved me.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back