Switching from a Xerox 550 to a C60 or Versant 80?

• Thread starter PrintingInLincs
  • Start date
I don't think i'd dare switch to anything but Xerox,
Really? Why? The experiences you have documented are horrendous, and irrespective of where any fault lies, most people would be up for a completely different replacement solution - brand, vendor and support.

I'm not being unreasonable thinking I should be able to get 10 posters done in an hour right? I like my margins to be 3mm around the print & with no dust or specs trapped under the toner...it's not much to ask.
You're talking single sided SRA3 posters on a dry toner production machine? You want that in less than a minute!

Just to put into perspective, the last job yesterday evening for our KM C4080 was a run of 250 x SRA3 250GSM silk, to both sides, heavy coverage in parts. We need to laminate, cut & crease today to make a 4-panel A4 card. From RIPing to taking the job off the press took less than 15 minutes. Registration - perfect. Wastage - nil. Colour consistency - print #1 and print #250 no noticeable difference to the eye.

Hmmm yes actually you're right about my experiences.

I felt it was more about being promised the earth by sales folk than the machine but yes I guess the machine is a dud at its peak.

I looked into KM previously but from researching local competitors everyone had a xerox at the time.

It's kind of too late to not go with the Versant 180 now as my 550 is taking 10 sheets to print a properly aligned poster but I'll bare others in mind in 3 years.

It's kind of too late to not go with the Versant 180 now as my 550 is taking 10 sheets to print a properly aligned poster but I'll bare others in mind in 3 years.
Provided a machine is installed and maintained correctly, the environmentals at your premises are within the tolerances detailed in the CED and you're storing substrates properly, in 2021 any production machine from one of the big four should perform as I have eluded to above.

All production machines encounter problems from time to time. One of the most important aspects when negotiating a new agreement - actually more important than click rates - is the SLA. How quickly will you will get response & resolution via whatever escalation channels are required, should the first line technician be unable to resolve? You mentioned you are changing provider, I imagine where you've ended up comes on recommendation, if it's not an OEM direct channel.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back